Vintage and Classic Motorcycle Restorations
Manx Norton 30m Replica Built in 2002
WE ARE NOW TAKING BOOKINGS FOR JANUARY 2014.
Motorcycles have always been a passion. It all started with stripped down knackered old mopeds that we scrambled around local fields on until we fell off (often), ran out of petrol or the police turned up! We had great fun out-running a notorious mad dog turned crazy by buzzing 2-strokes, it growled and snap at our feet but never caught us until it employed a mate; a bigger and faster dog! As a result of our adventures we honed our riding skills, became experts at loony dog evasion, clattering over pot holes and make the local constabulary laugh rather than shout at us. But our fun was tempered by scrapes with trees and fences, the odd lost tooth and lots cuts and lots of bruises. Happy days.
We learned a lot. How ride and stay upright, how to keep our bikes going and how to make them go faster and we built a reputation for tearing around the streets (hey we were teenagers) at which police stopped laughing and started chasing. But that reputation brought us friends (and the odd fine) and their bikes to work on; some for road and some for track use.
Over the years we have ridden and rebuilt all manor of bikes from 125cc 2 and 4 strokes to behemoth multi cylinder Japanese bikes of the 70's and 80's. But British motorcycles have remained a huge interest and at the core of our work. In our opinion if you can build a 130mph British parallel twin that holds together for mile after mile you can build anything. Engines are just pistons and valves they are not complex so don't let anyone convince otherwise but they must be understood as a system.
One of JAL's very special Triton's, ultra light at under 280lbs dry and fast fitted with a race prepared engine (big cams, special crank, steel rods, gas flowed and big carbs. All balanced, all end floats corrected and she pulls 8000rpm in top with 15% longer primary and 22 46 sprockets. Speed trapped at 142mph. Not much Triumph in this engine!
At the age of 17 our senior restorer purchased a 1965 Triumph T120 Bonneville. The bike was as old as he but under the watchful eyes of his dad ex Royal Navy and great engineer he rebuilt it with minor mods including retiming the original cams, minor port work, skinny head gasket, proper jetting and exhaust; it was a quick little bike which would often surprise more modern mounts. Today over 30 years later this same bike sits quietly in the corner of our workshop in full 1965 Thruxton trim watching a steady stream of bikes roll (sometimes carried) through our workshop doors and then shining roll out again.
So after many years of working in our chosen careers and building top quality road and race bikes in our spare time we have decided to change focus and spend much more of our time building bikes. Therefore in 2009 we created JAL Motorcycle Restorations Ltd to offer a personalised motorcycle care, restoration and repair service for competition and road going motorcycles built before 1989.
We undertake full or part restorations regardless of make or model. Top priority for us it to deliver motorcycles that meet the exact requirements of our customers and are happy to advise what type of restoration best suits the intended use of your motorcycle;-
- "Show" quality elegance using stainless components, perfect paint, chrome, casting and casing refinishing using vapour blasting and alloy polishing.
- Sympathetic restorations for motorcycles were originality is key; retooling and replating of original fastners, traditional stove enamelling, brushed finished cases, traditional wheel building with galvanised spokes and chrome on brass nipples etc.
- Or top quality restorations for road or track employing the very latest thinking; modern cam forms, modern porting, multi angle valve seats, carbs and low power digital ignitions ensuring reliability and performance.
We are also happy to recommission motorcycles that have been in long term storage or prepare motorcycles for storage. And we undertake all of the normal repair and maintenance services for your classic motorcycle.
Services we provide;-
- Engine and gearbox rebuilding.
- Chassis modification and restoration work.
- Blasting Services - Vapour or grit.
- Powder coating and wet spray enamel.
- Stunning paintwork to original or race schemes.
- Chrome plating (only undertaken as part of a restoration).
- Electrical work including full rewires. Either harness replacement or new harnesses built from scratch for your special either single or dual circuit for certain types of racing.
- Race quality assembly of all motorcycles regardless of their intended use.
- MOT service. We will collect your bike, MOT it and return it to you. We will, if requested undertake any MOT work if required and directed by you.
We also offer a bespoke motorcycle build service for classic racing or road use and have a reputation for building race engineered specials be they Norton hybrid, AMC, Seeley, Bakker, Spondon or Harris (Magnum or F1) , also Honda CR's, Suzuki TR or Yamaha TZ. We can in fact we can build just about anything you like.
Recently restored by us the Broad Yamaha TZ750 (8) ex Dave Potter. Photographed at Mallory Park being chased by Tepi Lansivouri on the Ex works Suzuki TR750.
Our builds speak for themselves and are amongst the most photographed and always draw a crowd in the race paddock or outside your local. Please visit our galleries to view just a small cross section of motorcycles that we have either restored or built from the ground up. Or just tap JAL Restorations into google and our bikes pop up all over the place.
Please feel free to call and speak with our senior technician to discuss your individual requirements.
Delivery and Collection Service.
JAL Restorations also offer our clients a motorcycle collection and delivery service in the UK only. This service is free for local collection and delivery services within a 15 mile radius of our workshop. All other locations are competitively priced using the AA mileage recommended rate for our vehicle which is currently £1.44/mile and 50% of our normal hourly labour charge (if we are not in our workshop we cannot be building bikes) plus VAT. Please call for a quote. However we will heavily discount this charge for clients requiring full restorations.
Or you can deliver the bike yourself!